- Window grids include both fixed and awning windows
- In-floor radiant heating system provides even, comfortable warmth in colder weather
- In-floor air ducts circulate air conditioned cooling in warmer weather
- Systems centralized and accessible in work space
- All roofs (including Studio) consist of newly installed (September 2019) low-slope commercial-grade multiple-layer SBS-modified bitumen membrane with PMMA-based flashing. 20-year warranty by manufacturer, Siplast. New copper edge flashing with new copper scuppers maintain original design. Roofing technology is now capable of permanently addressing the challenging roof design of all Usonian Automatics.
- 2018 existing condition assessment report by Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. Boston, MA. Issues identified in assessment have been corrected to meticulous preservation standards. (Report available to qualified buyers upon request.)
- Underground fuel-oil storage tank removed, replaced with above-ground hidden tank with new oil line into the house.
- Electric lighting circuits in ceilings repaired/replaced prior to new roof installation. Detailed map of all circuits, junction boxes and fixtures. High-intensity warm light LED fixtures installed.
- Hi-fi system removed, vacuum tubes fully tested, cleaned and repaired. Sounds fantastic as an audiophile system from 1955.
- Landscaping updated to reflect plan of original plot drawings.
- Backyard patio wall replaced September 2019 by world-class historical masonry restoration contractor, offering accurate duplication of original block fit and finish.
- Digital collection of original plans, documentation and correspondence
Many Classic Wright Details
- Usonian L-shaped open plan with double-height central core
- Natural day lighting and indoor-outdoor connection
- Single-story, 1406-square-foot main home with 264-square-foot annex on oversized city lot (0.73 acres)
- Private main entrance through attached two-bay carport
- Poured concrete block modular construction
- Cherokee Red concrete floor with radiant heating
- Philippine mahogany paneling, shower stalls, beds and
built-in cabinetry, shelves, desks, bureaus and closet systems
- Two bedrooms and two bathrooms, main living room,
dining area, study and workspace/kitchen
- Main living area central fireplace with dramatic sunken hearth
Usonian Automatic Design
Wright’s Usonian Automatic style was the last house type he created. He used standard-sized concrete blocks that could be cast by his clients themselves and used a modular-block construction method.
Of the 21 Usonian Automatic houses designed, only 7 were built. The simple, one-story design is low maintenance and does not require replacement items, paint, or other renovations.